The Corporate, Banking and Finance practice is a key focus of our firm. This team includes around 20 lawyers, including 5 partners and 3 counsels, who are mainly active in the following areas of practice: corporate law in general, banking and financial law, corporate law relating to real estate, commercial and contract law, and insolvency law.
The Corporate, Banking and Finance department provide their clients with assistance in structuring, negotiations and transactions in the areas of corporate and banking law. Our lawyers defend their clients in litigation and draw up legal advices in their areas of expertise.
One of the main characteristics of our team is the active participation of our partners and their associates in the management of cases. Their multidisciplinary skills constitute another main asset. Most of our lawyers are active in several practice areas within the Corporate, Finance and Banking department, which allows for efficient collaborative working among them.
In a rapidly evolving regulatory environment, SIMONT BRAUN’s lawyers continually seek to gain a thorough knowledge of new legal developments ahead of their implementation. Several of them teach corporate law, contract law and the law of obligations, as well as international law at university level. They are regularly invited to comment on recent legal developments, either by publishing articles in specialist journals or at conferences.
In addition, efficient close collaboration with the other specialist teams at SIMONT BRAUN enables our lawyers to gain a thorough understanding of our clients’ legal issues.
The Corporate, Banking and Finance department advise Belgian and international clients active in various sectors (holding companies, the chemical and pharmaceutical industries, real estate and construction, banking, finance, insurance, energy, luxury goods, etc.).
Here are some examples of recent major deals we have acted in:
- we advised a Belgian insurance firm on the acquisition of insurance business from a large Belgian bank
- we advised European stock exchanges in preparing a single order book
- we assisted in incorporating and admitting to trading a Real Estate Investments Trust (REIT ). We are still advising it on mergers and acquisitions relating to the development of its real estate portfolio
- we are assisting private individuals with respect to the listing of the fixtures and furnitures f a major building in Brussels. The case concerns a dispute about the movable and immovable nature of the goods
- we advised the family holding company of a Belgian pharmaceutical group concerning a major acquisition in Germany and its consequences on their shareholdings
- we carried out negotiations leading to the divestiture to a French group of a Belgian company registered on Euronext Brussels active in the haulage sector. This was followed by a takeover bid
- we advised the shareholders of a real estate company registered on Euronext Brussels about their divestiture by a leading Belgian bank. This was followed by a takeover bid
- we assisted, and are still assisting, leading Belgian and international issuers concerning Belgian aspects of the introduction of EMTN programmes and bond issues
- we assisted an English real estate group in a hostile takeover bid for real estate certificates. We also negotiated the financing with a large Belgian bank
- we have advised a Belgian private equity backed industrial client with the acquisition of a Dutch competitor in the food ingredients industry. We advised on the corporate, financial and banking law aspects of the acquisition.