SIMONT BRAUN has acknowledged expertise in corporate law, covering all legal questions. The firm assists clients in litigation and provides assistance in the structuring aspects, negotiations and completion of major transactions such as mergers and acquisitions, public and private rights issues and takeover bids.
The Corporate team includes well-known specialists. Several teach corporate law at university level. Some members of the Corporate team have published a number of articles and respected specialist works in this area. Several also advise public authorities in a variety of legal matters.
The Corporate team’s practice includes:
- incorporation and reorganization of all kinds of legal entities (including not-for-profit associations and foundations); public and private rights issues; shareholder agreements; advice and assistance to family shareholders of listed and unlisted companies; corporate governance
- legal and regulatory obligations of listed companies, in particular for matters of information, transparency of major holdings, and insider information
- due diligence assignments, negotiations and drafting of all contracts in relation to share or asset transactions, mergers and acquisitions, demergers and partial demergers, and joint ventures
- structuring and strategy for takeover bids, including litigation for minority shareholders
Examples of recent major transactions that headed up by the Corporate team include:
- we advised a Belgian insurance firm in the acquisition of insurance business from a large Belgian bank
- we assisted in the incorporation and admitting to trading of a Real Estate Investments Trust (REIT). We are still advising it on mergers and acquisitions relating to the development of its real estate portfolio
- we advised the family holding company of a Belgian pharmaceutical group concerning a major acquisition in Germany and its consequences on their shareholdings
- we assisted a French public law company active in the area of life sciences in the acquisition of a holding in a Belgian company
- we conducted negotiations leading to a divestiture to a French group by a Belgian company listed on Euronext Brussels and active in the haulage sector. This was followed by a takeover bid