SIMONT BRAUN has particularly wide experience of corporate law in relation to real estate. Our specialist team therefore works closely with the Real Estate, Construction and Administrative Law team.
The Corporate Real Estate department especially assists institutional investors as well as Belgian and foreign-based firms in the purchase or sale of real estate portfolios or any kind of real estate.
The Corporate Real Estate team’s practice includes:
- setting up vehicles for real estate investments, especially Sicafis and Pricafs. They structure real estate assignment or acquisition projects using real estate investment vehicles
- they take care of due diligence assignments on the various aspects of transactions (corporate law, property, financing, securities, town planning and the environment, insurance, medium-term and short-term risk analysis, contracts, occupancy and maintenance, regulatory compliance) and coordination between these analyses and accounting and technical audits
- they negotiate and draft contractual project documents (such as share transfer, merger, split, finance, security, and sale and lease-back agreements, etc.)
Examples of recent major operations carried out by the Corporate Real Estate team include:
- we advised the shareholders of a real estate company listed on Euronext Brussels in their divestiture by a leading Belgian Bank. This operation was followed by a takeover bid
- we assisted a leading institutional investor in acquiring real estate portfolios in the area of housing and care homes.
- we created one of the first private Pricafs for a Belgian investor under the new regulations
- we advised an English investor in a takeover bid for real estate certificates
- we assisted a leading institutional investor in the acquisition of several hotels in France
- we assisted a major real estate trader in the transfer of an office building to a foreign-based company