Public and administrative law represents a key aspect of corporate law in general and real estate law in particular. SIMONT BRAUN’s Administrative Law team particularly focuses on public procurement law, public/private partnerships, zoning, town-planning and the environment.
In relation to public procurement and public/private partnerships, the Administrative Law team advise both public authorities and private Belgian and foreign-based firms. Our lawyers advise on the choice of the most suitable structure. They provide assistance in drawing up offers and/or scope statements, notably concerning the award criteria, following up drafting and signature procedures and handling any appeals.
Examples of significant cases headed up by the Administrative Law team include:
- we have prepared deals for involving public works and public services
- we have analyzed issues arising from the constitution of companies by public authorities and questions relating to the special aspects of legal public law entities
- we prepared and awarded a very important IT deal
- we have assisted Belgian firms in litigation on the award of various kinds of contracts
- we have provided assistance in drafting contracts in terms of administrative law
- we have followed up litigation for companies in relation to the performance of public contracts
As far as town planning and the environment are concerned, the Administrative Law team provide assistance to public authorities and economic players in a range of intricate transactions. Apart from the aspects of real estate transactions dealt with in conjunction with the Real Estate team, our Administrative lawyers work on project feasibility, preparing permit applications (explanations, infringement applications, impact assessment documents, etc.), various aspects of the management of polluted ground, follow-up of applications (the process of investigation and consultation) and handling appeals (administrative or others). Cases also cover regulatory issues and portfolio management.
Recent major operations carried out by the Administrative Law department include:
- we advised an institutional investor on the gamut of town-planning and environmental aspects affecting its real estate acquisitions
- we assisted a leading group active in insurance on a major acquisition; or brief involved real estate, town-planning, environmental and pollution management aspects
- we advised a major Belgian company on a development project in France. We took part in several consultations involving town-planning and environmental law
- we followed up the town-planning aspects of a number of projects by private developers in Brussels and Wallonia
- we assisted public authorities in a regulatory analysis involving environmental law
- we provided advice on detailed questions involving a housing estate